Here’s a great price on a gift idea – or a ‘resale’ opportunity if you aren’t in need of this product…
The Apple Pencil retails for $99.99 (and $114.55 on Amazon…yes, hold that thought…) but we can get it for as little as $74.88! 25% off on a brand new product isn’t bad!
Start With A Price Match
Best Buy will price-match to Sam’s Club, who currently has the Apple Pencil for $94.88. That was a quick $5 savings! We just showed them the item from our phone. Here’s the link! You can stop here if you want, but we haven’t got to the fun part…
Use Ibotta to get $15-20 Back!
Ibotta is offering two promotions affiliated with Best Buy that add up to a big discount!
- $10 Rebate on a $100 Purchase at Best Buy (fine print: this excludes Apple laptops, tablets, phones, and watches…but not accessories or Apple Pencils! Act fast before the rules change!)
- $5 Criss Cross Bonus
Although Ibotta is extremely intuitive, let me go through the details on the Criss Cross Bonus:
- Complete two ‘Grocery’ or ‘Beer, Wine & Spirits’ rebates. See my recommendations below.
- Complete one ‘Specialty’ rebate. This is the $10 rebate on $100 at Best Buy! One purchase completes both!
My Recommendations on Step 1
Obviously, try to spend as little out of pocket as possible or the rebate loses value!
- Buy ONE banana and redeem the $0.25 rebate. Valid almost everywhere. Eat the banana! It’s good for you!
- At Walmart, buy the smallest Smithfield Tenderloin you can find (under the Meat category.) Mine was $3.15 and I redeemed a $2 rebate. Things taste better when they’re bought with coupons!
- At Walmart, check the clearance section for McCormick Grill Mates. I purchased a Blue Moon inspired seasoning for $1 and redeemed a $0.50 rebate. Happy shopper!
- Buy a mango, onion, head of lettuce, avocado, bread, gallon of milk, or any-brand of bacon – whatever is cheapest or most usable in your household and available via Ibotta.
How to Complete Step 2
I checked with Ibotta…unfortunately, you have to complete $100 or more. Not the $99.99 retail on the Apple Pencil and certainly not the $94.88 price-matched version. This means you’ll need to buy a “filler” item that costs enough to meet the spend threshold without being excessive. We found a $6.99 canister of pet-stain carpet cleaner (yeah, we’ll use it) so our total was $101.87. You can probably get even closer to $100 if you check the snack section by checkout. There were items as low as $0.49, which will serve you well if you have any trouble with the price match ($99.99 + $0.49 = $100.48 – good job!) Otherwise, shop around! Your target price is $5.12 without going under. How close can you get? Remember…if you don’t buy a filler, you won’t get the rebate. So yes! It makes sense to buy another item and spend more because you’ll get even more back!
When you are ready to check out at Best Buy, be sure to have the Ibotta app open. Click through the Best Buy link (under Specialty) to the $10 rebate offer. Follow all of the prompts and you should see a QR code. The Best Buy employee will scan this link and can show you right on their monitor that “IBOTTA” is displayed toward the top right corner. Our associate was so helpful to point that out! And that’s all you have to do; the rebate gets processed automatically. Mine took about 12 hours to post!
Here’s what you’ll get instead of just spending $99.99 at Best Buy (or more at Amazon):
- $0.25-$2.25 back from Step 1 (depending on what you chose to purchase)
- $10 Best Buy rebate on $100 purchase
- $5 Criss Cross bonus
- $5 Referral Bonus if you’re new to Ibotta
- $5.12 Sam’s Club price match
- A ~$5 item you found at Best Buy
- A banana!
- A steak!
- An Apple Pencil!
That’s a couple products plus up to $20! I like percentages, so even if you aren’t getting the Referral Bonus, you’re spending $79.88 on an item that would have otherwise cost $99.99 – that’s a 20% discount! You’ll also get a handful of other items that don’t cost any extra. Not bad, right?
So, will you do it?
Leave a comment! What did you redeem on Ibotta? And what “filler” item did you buy at Best Buy to reach $100?
Don’t need an Apple Pencil? Sure, sell it on Amazon! You’ll pay ~$80 and sell it for around $110. After shipping and fees, you’ll still pocket $10 and get the easy credit card spend. I love the Amazon Seller program and regularly use it on great promotions or to finish credit card spend. Leave a comment if you need some help!